Counselling and Emotional Support

Coming to terms with a diagnosis of PID for your child and managing your child's care is likely to have an emotional impact. Some parents may need emotional support or professional psychological counselling at some stage.

It is always important to discuss any emotional difficulties with your GP as they will be aware of local services.

Having a conversation about your mental health to a GP may be difficult but the Mental Health Foundation have developed this excellent guide to help.

In addition to NHS services there are organisations that can either advise about or directly provide emotional support.

British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP)

This is the professional body for counsellors and psychotherapists in the UK. The Association sets, promotes and maintains standards for the counselling profession. When choosing a counsellor it is best for the person you work with to be a member of the BACP Register This gives you an assurance that they meet the standards of proficiency and ethical practice you would expect.

This link will help you find a qualified counsellor or psychotherapist close to you.

01455 883300


SANE runs a national, out-of-hours mental health helpline offering specialist emotional support and information to anyone affected by mental illness, including family, friends and carers. They are open every day of the year from 6pm to 11pm.

0300 304 7000

The Mix

The Mix is a free, confidential and multi-issue helpline support service for young people. It covers mental health, relationships, work and study and money issues.

0808 808 4994


The UK's largest provider of relationship support. Relate helps people of all ages, backgrounds and sexual orientations to strengthen their relationships.

0300 100 1234


Samaritan trained volunteers are able to listen to you any time of the day or night. They can help you talk through whatever is troubling you, find the answers that are right for you and offer support.

116 123

The Rainbow Trust

Rainbow Trust supports families who have a child aged 0-18 years of age with a life threatening or terminal illness and need the bespoke support they offer.                                        

01372 363438

Child line

Childline helps anyone under 19 in the UK with any issue they’re going through. Whether it’s something big or small, they have trained counsellors to give support. It is free, confidential and available 24 hours a day.

0800 1111

Changing Faces

Changing Faces supports people who have any condition that affects their appearance, anywhere in the UK. They can provide confidential emotional support, advice and information.

0345 450 0275 or 0207 391 927

Posted May 2017, reviewed August 2019