Other benefits and grants

Disabled Facilities Grant 

You might need to adapt your home to meet the needs of your child. For example, if your child needs a downstairs bedroom because it’s too difficult to lift them upstairs, or if doors need widening for wheelchair access. 

The grant is made by your local authority and can be for up to £30,000. 

An occupational therapist (OT) will visit your home, make an assessment and recommend the types of adaptations your child needs. 

The grant is not means tested for children under 17. 

Some families have found OTs have insisted on one set of adaptations when they were expecting another. For example, they were hoping to convert a garage into a downstairs bedroom but the OT insisted their authority would only pay for a stair lift for the child. 

Visit www.gov.uk/disabled-facilities-grants/overview 

Utilities rebates 

Many utility providers give rebates for families with disabled children. 

WaterSure is a scheme run by water companies to cap rates. It allows for the extra washing required with certain medical conditions. 

You must have a water meter fitted. 

The Consumer Council for Water has a flow chart to help you work out whether you can apply for the Watersure scheme and which water company supplies your area. Visit www.ccwater.org.uk. 

* With a disabled child you might qualify for priority servicing and repair under the gas and electricity companies’ Priority Services Register. Contact your gas and electricity suppliers. 

Council tax reduction 

If you use a room specifically to ‘meet the needs of the disabled person’ you might qualify for a council tax reduction. 

So, if you use a room to store specialist equipment or for giving treatment, your council might consider you have one less room in the house and reduce your council tax band. 

Contact your local council for details. Visit https://www.gov.uk/apply-council-tax-reduction for more information.